One of my goals for our study of the Middle Ages was to make at least one time-period specific costume/outfit. I'm challenged just to sew a straight line...but, decided to give this dress a try.
Following the directions laid out in our curriculum, Tapestry of Grace....
I found a piece of material that once folded reaches from the shoulders to the ground. I placed it with the fold at the top on the ground and had Audrey lie in the middle of it with the top of the fabric right above her shoulders. With chalk, I started tracing approximately 4 inches from her arm pit 'diagonal' to the end of her sleeve and then from the armpit 'diagonal' to the bottom of the fabric. I cut the area along the chalkline and then folded it over and cut the other half of the material. At the top (where it is folded) I cut a 9 inch slit and had her try it on. I kept the back portion of the slit straight and tried to curve the front portion (took a little bit too much off). Then I folded the neckline over and sewed it. (They suggest using bias tape if you know how to use it).
Following directions, I turned it inside out and sewed from the armpit down to the bottom on both sides. Then turned it right side and sewed from the armpit down to the end of the sleeves.
Then, hemmed it......
There are some things I'd definitely do differently next time (with the neckline and measuring by the arm pits).
But, I do have to say, Princess Roola Mae is one happy girl!!!!